Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Prayer for the Wicked
Topic Started: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:12 pm (283 Views)
Yulessia

A procession was held below in the main column of the temple as Ariana looked on from a balcony viewing high above. Nothing spectacular, she thought, watching the newer priest lead the mass, trying not to stumble over words and mix thoughts. She chuckled to herself, legs folded over one another in her tall chair as she looked on. "Not the worst this temple's seen lead mass, but certainly not the best," she sighed to herself, getting up and moving to one of the temple's wings, down toward her office.

She left the door open, as she made a habit of allowing walk-ins during her down time to cater to the needs of her flock. Humming a warm, somber tune, her finger traced the many tomes on a built-in shelf by the window before settling on a ledger. She pulled it out, the book containing all the data for the latest midnight mass. They had ascended seventeen new dusted so far, with only three deaths. Four more children were still being worked on. She signed a space next to the data entry and leaned back heavily in her leather chair, spinning it to look longingly out the stained window behind.

"Ma'am?" A stocky little man holding far too many scrolls peered over her desk.

"... have you found her?" Ariana asked, not even looking up from her watching of the streets of Montpalais far below her window.

"N-no, but I wanted to update you on the search an-anyway and--"

"Come back when you find her." Dry. Disinterested.

"Y-yes ma'am."

"The longer Amber is raised by her si-- that witch, the harder it will be to take her potential back from the resistance."

She waited until he made more confirmations and staggered out the door. Bored, frustrated, she rubbed her temple and now stood, still facing the window, but stepped to the side to a small end table of liquors, and started pouring herself a tall glass of wine.
Edited by Yulessia, Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:13 pm.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

WilloWisp
Member Avatar

Amelie sauntered into Ariana's office a half hour after the procession ended, looking bemused. "High Mother," She said respectively, giving a slight nod. This was, evidently, as much formality as she was willing to stand, as she unceremoniously settled into the empty seat near Ariana. "I swear, they've been getting lazy on the altar," she said, crossing her legs. "Whatever happened to the fiery passion that inspired me?" She sighed, putting a hand on her forehead dramatically.

Yulessia

"Hello, Amelie Eglantier." Formal. She always used people's full names when she greeted them, as though she needed to remind herself exactly whom she was speaking to. She was used to the lack of pomp that these meetings held. Dare she say, Ariana was proud of the open door policy of her office, and how it brought people to visit. It took her mind off things.

"We've had so many new members of late, I thought it would be a nice change to see the youth lead the mass sometimes. Get their perspective on things. But it seems these days are worse than predicted," she rubbed her temple and took a second glass down to pass to her guest before pouring more wine. "The temple's youngest are losing touch, I fear, my daughter. The fear of this.. rising fire is showing in the quiver of their voices."

WilloWisp
Member Avatar

"The young are always foolish," she said philosophically, accepting the wine she was offered gratefully and taking a long draught. Ariana always had the best wines; somehow even the vineyards she got her own cellars from couldn't compare. "I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Maybe make sure there's a fire in their belly before you let them speak." She gave Ariana a reassuring smile and took another sip of wine.

"But that's beside the point. You seem tense, honey," she said, setting down the half-finished glass. "Anything I can help with? A massage, perhaps?" Her hair shimmered suggestively as she mentioned it, and she ran a hand through it, a single strand catching on her pinkie as she toyed with it.

Yulessia

She considered it, waving her hand dismissively at the idea after a thoughtful pause. She rested her chin on a backened wrist as she looked at the window, eyes turning toward Amelie with the cool, tired look of a firm parent. "No, my dear, I would save your gifts for the needy." She turned now, giving Amelie her full attention after a sip of wine.

"How fairs redlight? Surely going well in your capable, dextrous hands?"

WilloWisp
Member Avatar

Amelie nodded, a distant smile on her face. "It is one of our best seasons after all. Everyone wants a warm embrace right now, and we're the best." She continued to play with her hair and picked up the glass of wine, enjoying the smooth texture of it as she took a deep draught. Finally time for the actual work. "Several dusted, including some of the more stubborn nobles - I doubt you'll be seeing Count Vitreux's wife in court for the next few days. I'd send your condolences to the home, she's quite distraught about the house arrest. She may prove a valuable ally against her husband." She paused, nursing the glass. "On a related note, I was wondering if there might be beds available here. One of the poor things came to me in tears. Apparently she's been hiding her, ahem, employment from her parents, and was kicked out. An absolute doll, and so earnest."

Yulessia

Ariana put on that motherly, coy smile. It had all the warmth of a fire in a blizzard. Hot, to be sure, but the biting chill could still be felt on your spine. "The poor thing," she coo'd, feigning interest "Of course she may find hospice here. The church is a sanctuary, after all is said and done. Were you hoping for board on this floor?" The smile dimmed to distant thoughts. "Or underground?"

WilloWisp
Member Avatar

"This floor, if possible," she said, leaning back in her chair and smiling broadly. "I'm almost certain that she'll volunteer herself for the more... interesting projects. Just give her a shoulder to cry on and some time." She already felt much better about the poor girl's situation. The young thing reminded her a lot of herself, if she was honest, and she was hoping that under the watchful eye of Ariana she could grow in the right direction. So few did these days.

Yulessia

The matron nodded with a tinge of boredom? Disappointment? It hardly mattered. Amelie was providing her a good example to the others. Simply a positive one for once. She smiled gratefully as she said, "Thank you, Miss Églantier. I will, of course, see to it that she can meet her potential. How wonderful to have a new child reborn unto our moon."

She hummed into the knuckle of a finger that she was chewing on thoughtfully. "I'd actually thought to exchange one of mine for one of yours sometime soon. I'm not sure I will go through with the idea yet, but I feel that my methods of affection wouldn't work on my latest project," she said, getting up to walk in a circle about the room, pretending to admire fixtures and books that she, herself, had placed in this office.

"I've captured a sweet summer child of the false princess who ruled this land before our Queen reclaimed her throne. A girl of light." The title made her smile. After all, she had the girl chained and starved so deep in this mountain that there was no light to shine on those indignant eyes of the girl. "She escaped this world thousands of years ago through some portal and I've dragged her back. But her body isn't that of a faerie, and though she sleeps in a bed of dust, it undergoes no affects. No magic linked to a world she should be from."

Her pacing found her back at her seat, which she again took, folding one leg over the other and adjusting her robe before locking eyes with Amelie. "She won't break, I'm sure of it. But you are more experienced with the body than I, and I need someone to find out the weaknesses of her race. In return for your studies and reports, of course, you'll gain yourself an exotic creature to display. Use her as a window mannequin. A petting zoo. As long as she remains alive, and I learn where her magic lies. I need her mind to work for me, but her body could take another career path."

WilloWisp
Member Avatar

Amelie's eyes widened slightly as the High Mother described her latest... acquisition. That she had found yet another of these... people, claiming to have known the false princess, that was fair enough; for some reason they had been cropping up all over in the past few years. But... how she came to Ariana, and the nature of her body, now that was incredibly interesting...

"I live only to serve," Amelie said when she was finished, giving a small curtsy, a small smile gracing her features. She was already thinking of a few methods to make the girl... pliable. "If my... meager talents are of use..." the smile had grown into a smirk at the charade of humility.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Montpalais · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme made by HawkBlade124 from Zathyus Networks Resources