Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Training Day; Corwyn, Gwendolyn
Topic Started: Fri Oct 7, 2016 2:06 pm (2,248 Views)
Copic Pen
Member Avatar
Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town
"Okay... this'll all be okay. Not gearing up to make a huge embarassment of myself at all."

In a mostly empty park on the edge of Styke, sat a nervous looking strella with his head in his hands. "Nnnnnngh. Need to think positive. This'll be fiiiiine..." Corwyn groaned out quietly to himself as he started wringing his hands together. Truth was, his stomach was in knots. He didn't even know what was in store for him tonight, but he had heard the areas he would soon be helping protect, and at least one of them was in the...

Wildwood... He exhaled deeply.

I'm sure I won't be taken anywhere too dangerous. They probably have that area under lock. I mean, they wouldn't take a super-rookie like me somewhere I could meet with a swift and horrible death. Right?

He shook his head again. Positive thoughts.

Corwyn had prepared himself for today's assignment... well, sort of. As best as the scrawny shut-in could anyway. He spent his waking hours stretching and attempting push-ups, bought a simple cloak to throw over his usual shirt-and-tie (because he can't afford to replace those), even ate a proper breakfast of more than just coffee and donuts. Realistically, he was probably in the most mission-ready state he's been in his life. Which is kind of sad.

Rustling through his bookbag (repurposed today as an adventuring bag!), he produced a small sketchpad and pencil to take his mind off of it. He had arrived an hour earlier than Gwendolyn had asked (better early than late right?), and he figured doodling was a better look than "nervous wreck".
Edited by Copic Pen, Fri Oct 7, 2016 5:46 pm.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Serendipity

"Uuuugh why am I awaaaake." Gwendolyn tossed his head to one side, wearing his spear across both shoulders as he walked through Stryke. At least today he didn't have to help with the bar cleanup. He looked longways at it as he passed. Yep, still singed from his fight with Maggie. Well, fuck. At least it was functional now. Maybe he could get that flower girl to repair the bark for him.

He rounded the corner and stopped to smile quizzically at Corwyn... drawing... on duty. He sighed to himself, shaking the spear and twirling it against the crook of his elbow to hold it lengthwise to his arm. He crept behind the budding artist and swung the spear from behind Corwyn, stopping short with cold steel against Corwyn's neck. "Are we having fun? I hope we're having fun, mate. I'd hate for, like, a Nightborne spy or monster to creep up and drag you into the woods, never to be seen again, because you're sitting on the ground staring at paper instead of your surroundings, soldier."
Edited by Serendipity, Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:15 am.

Copic Pen
Member Avatar
Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town
After a sharp intake of breath and dropping his pencil, Corwyn froze in place. He let the words sink in as the panic of the blade to his neck began to subside. "I-I was looking around!" He lifted the sketchpad slightly, the page depicting (among other various doodles) rough sketches of a few of the surrounding buildings. "If anyone was around I would have... uh. Drawn... them."

After a brief pause he dropped the sketchbook and put his hand up in salute. "Uhm, Corwyn Inkwright r-reporting. Can you please take the blade away?"
Edited by Copic Pen, Fri Oct 7, 2016 5:46 pm.

Serendipity

"haha.. sorry.. sorry. I'm just messin' with you." He lifted the spear back to his shoulders, magic hoisting Corwyn to his feet by the shoulders. "Stryke's a bit of a hidden gem. Our actual operations are underground so as far as any spy is concerned, you're really just a town guard slacking on the job."

He grinned sheepishly, holding a hand out to shake after using it for a quick return salute. "Gwendolyn L'Etoile. 1028 years old. Former captain of the sun." He said it in a lighthearted chuckle, but there was a tired look in his eyes. Was it possible to look so sleepy that one's eye color faded to grey? "You don't have to be so formal just because I'm some higher up. I find people work better when they get to be themselves." He was still jovial as he rocked his head toward the path to Wildwoods. "Do you need a mission briefing?"
Edited by Serendipity, Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:15 am.

Copic Pen
Member Avatar
Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town
Corwyn chuckled softly, still a little shaken. "Y-yeah..."

He quickly returned the handshake and the grin as well. "Pleasure to meet you. You uh... look pretty good for 1,028. You got like, a cream or something?" he said with a chuckle, his mind suddenly screaming at him that maybe this was an inappropriate thing to joke about. He knew the deal, of course. It was common enough knowledge around Sol as to how he actually achieved that age, but Corwyn's hair-trigger on being a dork outpaced his common sense most of the time, and this was no different.

His tension eased as Gwen continued however, and he let out a small sigh of relief. "Well that's good! I'm not great at being anyone else. To be honest um, I was. Kinda nervous about meeting you. Cause you're like... Really cool. And you never want someone who you think is cool to, you know, end up being a jerk, but you seem really nice! And um... I-I'm rambling. Sorry."

Oh my god don't say that you thought he might be a jerk what is the matter with you.

Corwyn gathered his drawing supplies as he was blabbing and stowed them away in his bag. He then looked up, and towards the Wildwood where Gwen had gestured. "I... had an idea of where we were going but, I could use one yeah."
Edited by Copic Pen, Sat Oct 8, 2016 11:48 am.

Serendipity

If he minded, he didn't show it except to drop the smile for the brief moment after the apology. The smirk returned before the next sentence started. He started to walk, slowly at first, to let Corwyn gather his things and keep up, then at a steady pace. He frowned as he stared forward, relieved his back was now to his companion.

"Deeper into the Wildwoods due northeast of our position is an old castle. Older than even my time. Sis--- Alice-- once went there to find the Elements of Harmony, so the place was already pretty suspiciously magical? Well, come to find after Alec became Devotion and I... stopped needing beauty cream.." He tossed a mix of a grin and an eye roll at Corwyn before facing front again and continuing the story: "that place is built over the source. Like... the source of all the magic in this kingdom. And we gotta protect it, Corwyn, because if my brother, Alec, is right, then this source is what let my sister use the elements. And we need 'em to stop Queen Edgy Moondark. So our mission."

He turned around, lumbering in big steps backward while he maintained eye contact for a stern tone. "Our mission is to calmly and casually pretend we're going on a standard patrol near the border of the woods, then stealth our way to the castle there and make sure nothing's changed. I've got a magic barrier over the cave entrance we're going toward so I'd know if anyone got near the source, but I have to go channel the thing daily or the magic fades. I could use a second pair of eyes while I'm busy with the spell, and you could use some training."
Edited by Serendipity, Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:14 am.

Copic Pen
Member Avatar
Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town
Nodding dutifully, Corwyn began following Gwen as he spoke. He gave another nervous chuckle and rubbed the back of his neck as Gwen turned back to look at him. yeahthatonewentoverwell

As Gwen continued, Corwyn's eyes began to grow wide. "Of... of all magic? That... wow, that's really important." He nodded vigorously, now intently listening to each word.

As the march came to a halt, Corwyn only just stopped himself from bumping into Gwen. As their mission was laid out, Corwyn clenched his fists and stiffened his lip, mustering all the determination he could. I'm being trusted with something this important... I gotta do my best!

"You got it! I won't let you down!" he said, his voice still a little shaky but filled with vigor.

After a few moments, his brain was allowed to process the scenario a bit more.

"So what do... I do if I see someone or something? Just uh... yell?"
Edited by Copic Pen, Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:53 am.

Serendipity

Gwen looked the rookie up and down, chuckled, and lowered his guard. "You don't have a weapon? If not, we..."

To their right was the trail to the lodge, Gwen thought. Just at the edge of town. They could stock up on supplies there then head out. The journey seemed simple enough when he'd made it last time, he reasoned as he dug into his bag for something.

"Here." Gwen held out a bright blue pearl to Corwyn. "Alec's been busy rehauling our comm systems. Socket that into your support badge. Tapping it will make it glow until it's tapped again. As long as it's lit, I should be able to hear you talk through mine." He tapped his collar, where his badge was displayed prominently above a handful of honors that he was sure no longer existed in this kingdom.

"I'll probably have you hide out in the treeline while I do the spell. Even a whisper should be picked up, so you can scout for me." He looked longways at the road ahead. "So do we need to get you a weapon?"

Copic Pen
Member Avatar
Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town
Corwyn's eyes widened as he was handed the gem. He turned it around in his hand, admiring the bright blue until Gwen continued and his attention snapped back. "Okay, that works... man, that's pretty handy." He brought the pearl to the support badge on his belt, and was surprised as it almost leapt from his fingers into the slot. Magic is cool.

Corwyn briefly admired all of the honors and decorations on Gwen's coat, fully unaware of the significance (or timeframe) of any of it, other than "it looks like some cool military shit." Corwyn gave a spirited nod at his further instructions. "Scouting, I can do that."

"A weapon... maybe for show or something. I've only been in like one fight in my life, and it was in primary school. And I lost.."
He rubbed the back of his neck and averted his gaze. "I mean. Maybe I should have like, a dagger. Or something, you know. Just in case..." his gaze fell now to the floor. "Sorry..."
Edited by Copic Pen, Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:42 am.

Serendipity

Gwen's hand clasped Corwyn's shoulder, giving it a firm, loyal shake. "No apologies between the band of brothers, soldier. We're partners now and I'll see to it your skills are honed. I don't expect you to be perfect. I just want you to do your best. Besides, I got beat up daily in high school and now I'm a goddamn captain." He smiled, pulling Corwyn's head forward to bump foreheads and meet his eyes. Then he motioned toward, and walked, the path to the adventure lodge. "I was a scrawny twig and I think a real twig could beat me in a fight if the tree was so inclined."

He held aloft the door to the lodge and walked inside himself. "You don't want a dagger though. Too long or short and the thing takes too much precision to use. Have you seen Mags? I dare someone to take a dagger to her. Even her rapier out ranges that. We'll start you with a sword and board, alright? Simple to use. Good defense. Anyone can swing it and hit a mark. You can upgrade to something cooler after some practice."

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Stryke (Sol Oriens) · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme made by HawkBlade124 from Zathyus Networks Resources