Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Waning Crescent
Topic Started: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:04 pm (1,789 Views)
Princess Luna
Member Avatar
Avie by Woonastuck
The castle was glowing with the sunset, lit top to bottom with lanterns of orange and gold. It was the shortest night of the year, the Summer Solstice, and the Summer Sun Celebration celebrating the Solar Princess's rule and the rise of the sun. Though the entire country would celebrate at the dawn of the next day, one pony did not, secluded upon the highest balcony of the highest tower in the ancient castle.

Luna's magic did not flow as easily as it usually did. It didn't feel like a simple task anymore, raising her moon into the sky and forcing out the last light of day. Perhaps it was just this one night, with the worries in her mind, and the slight itch of this dress Celestia had insisted she wear.

Still, furrowing her brow, she managed to set the moon on it's course before letting the spell finally snap, her eyes opening to the full moon slowly clearing the horizon, before sliding across to her sister. The alicorn almost seemed to glow, even in the dying light. She hoped that Celestia had not noticed her struggle, but given how simple this usually was for her, she knew that going unnoticed was unlikely.
Edited by Krisabelle, Tue Sep 1, 2015 12:51 pm.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Princess Celestia
Member Avatar

Celestia hummed a inserted approval as her magic pulled down to Luna's bangs and adjusted a stray strand back into place behind her tiara. The princess beamed up at the moon, looking off to the other edge of the balcony to nod and bid the sun a good rest. She - herself - was equally ready to lay down and sleep, but tonight was simply one of those days, where princesses would stay up and greet the dawn.

"Lovely as always, dear sister," she said, with more regalia and condition than affection. Her next sentence corrected the balance. "Are you alright? You always fidget in such attire, sister, but you really must try to stand up straight. Subjects are always watching."

She stood calm, sunlight beaming to half her body, forming a halo above her fur and pink mane as she turned to her sister, moonlight in her eyes and off her horn. The traces of magic stuck to her form like glitter, and she only shook off the light by walking back inside the room connected to the balcony, motioning for Luna to follow.

Princess Luna
Member Avatar
Avie by Woonastuck
Luna did not follow. She stood in the moonlight, hesitant to return to the castle's confines, to the light where Celestia belonged. Unlike her sister, Luna only glowed in these first hours of night where the moon shone brightest, where even the first rays of lunar glow shone silver-blue patterns down upon her and set her mane and coat to dancing with the intermittent shades. It was in that murk that she could finally cease the shiver in her limbs at this confrontation, and she feared that the torch glow would show too clearly how anxious she was.

"They're watching you, sister. I don't think they would...they will miss me if I don't come out tonight." She twisted her hooves slightly on the marble balcony, steadying her stance as if she could dig into the glassy floor and brace herself. "I've done it before. There's never anybody asking for me. I'm not..." She paused. Gulped. Raised a hoof, and brought it down with a tap that did not echo quite nearly as loud nor as final as it had in the routine she had poured over. "I do not want to be there tonight, Celestia."
Edited by Princess Luna, Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:37 pm.

Princess Celestia
Member Avatar

Celestia clicked her tongue, moving back to the balcony in a motion fluid and instant. She hugged her sister tightly, held her under a tucked chin, wrapped soft, warm swan wings around the younger mare and kept her close to her breast. "Dear, little sister," she said. Her voice was soft, flowing like her dress, and sweet as the carnations in her braided mane. Not the lilted, overtly polite voice she reserved for public speaking and courtly meetings. Her real voice, a honey-dripped song held dear for a dearest sibling.

"I assure you very much so that a pony would miss you if you weren't there. I would miss you, Luna. Why, look..." She held a hoof under Luna's chin, lifting her head toward the moon. "See how my sunlight feeds your moon? That's how I am with you, Luna. I only want you to be happy here. To give you that reason to be!" She giggled. "Why wouldn't you want to go out there with me tonight, Luna? Wouldn't you miss me too?"

Princess Luna
Member Avatar
Avie by Woonastuck
Luna settled into her sister's embrace for a moment, her anxiety set aside by the sweet tones of affection, but the fear of confrontation that had fled her body was soon replaced by frustration, bolstered by the slight ache left in her gut by anxious fretting. She slipped her chin from Celestia's touch, shrinking back from her on the mention of sunlight. Perhaps it was something she had not raised with her sister. Perhaps it was something she had. Either way, the thought that her moonlight glow was but a reflection of Celestia's light upset her deeply.

She pulled away from her sister entirely, lips set in a frown as she gazed up at her elder sister. "You're not listening, Tia! Being out there doesn't make me happy, even if we are together. The courtiers try to tell me what to do, the guests avoid me, except for the socialites, who don't...and that's even worse!" She let a sharp sigh escape her lips. "It would be easier to do my part from the castle, and just not bother with the festivities."

Princess Celestia
Member Avatar

"There's no need for a tone, Luna. It's unbecoming." Celestia kept her pose, balancing on the delicate hoof shoes that adorned her, only the breeze gently swaying fur and feather as she looked down at her younger sister and tried to take in what she was saying. Worry crossed her brow. "I'm... I'm listening very clearly, sister. But all I'm hearing is how unhappy you are with a festival in our honor. Do you not remember a time when Chaos reigned and the sun and moon would only briefly touch the sky every ought minute? Do you not remember a time when the natural order was so disrupted that it took the very core magic of this land to shake loose the unearthed discord? I.. I can't believe I'm hearing this from you."

She paced, walking back into the room and away from the sinking light of her sun. She turned over her shoulder to continue her rant.

"How can you talk of my not listening when your very grievance is that you must listen to duty? To the courtiers who know more of such things as festivals simply because you refuse to participate beyond attendance? How is that their fault? How can.... " Her voice cracked in quite earnest shock, "... you treat it like a burden to show some form of gratitude to our subjects for our rule. We cannot stay closeted in our castle like dictators. That's not fair."

Princess Luna
Member Avatar
Avie by Woonastuck
This time, Luna only hesitated a moment before rushing into the light after Celestia. "Our honor? You truly think that?" She rolled her eyes bitterly. "Those banners are of orange and gold, sister, not my tones. It is the one night of the year that all ponies spend in celebration, and it is a celebration for you. For the summer sun."

She waved a hoof, equal parts dismissive and bitter. "Every time you say it - us, we, ours...It feels more and more that you mean you, sister. I was so excited to rule beside you but what is the point if nobody ever sees me? Why is that fair?" She kept a few wary steps behind Celestia, pacing back and forth in a crescent as she spoke. "The only burden is pretending I'm not the only princess when I leave here, Celestia, because it's obvious they see you as a queen!"

Princess Celestia
Member Avatar

She stepped back, giving Luna more space of the floor. The click of crystal shoes muffled through the hem of the ballgown she'd stepped upon reminded her to first sweep the dress aside normally, but instead, she stepped right on it, shifting her weight, hearing a slight tear of the fabric tugging to its limit as she startled. She flickered through emotional static, flipping between confusion, anger, guilt, remorse... sorrow.. pity... some faint jealousy she couldn't place... she bit her lip obstinately.

"I... how can you SAY that, Luna? The entire celebration happens during your hours. You are present in the sky throughout! In the stars! Is that what you want? You only want your rightful place by my side if people see you? You want glory? Renown? How can... how can you be so selfish?"

She turned, haughty, pulling the door violently open with a shaky magic. Her eyes brimmed with tears, but she forced them back, turning to Luna and brushing her own pink mane back into it's braided bun. She adjusted her crown. "I only ever wanted to bring Equestria back to the light, Luna. I thought we both did that day... against Him. My sun to light the day, and your moon to reflect the night. But if all you see of me and our kingdom is some tyrannical prison forcing you to participate.... then don't. Stay here in your room. I don't need this... not today when we -- when I have so many ponies to thank for being here, and to explain your absence to since Your Grace cannot be bothered to attend a simple ceremony because it doesn't revolve around her."

She glared, the narrowed eyes and upturned nose - not of a queen, but an elder sister - staring down at the smaller of the two. "It's not my f-fault you know... that out of ALL the days we share equally between day and night, that the summer solstice be for my light. ... If you wanted a day of your own, you only needed ask instead of act... act like a child..."

Celestia didn't wait for a response. She turned, leaving the room in a huff, slamming the door shut behind her. She leaned against the door, breathing heavily, head turned down to the glossy tiles. It was supposed to be a celebration... She walked the long and narrow hallway down to the central stairs that would bend to the garden where the party took place this year, blinking back tears until her eyes were glossy beneath the brim of her mane.

"Your highness?" A servant appeared beside her. Celestia jumped. The butler continued: "The King of Foalympia has arrived and is awaiting you both in the foyer, m'lady."

"I--" Celestia took a moment to collect herself and turned, expressionless to the servant. "Yes, of course. I'll go right away. ... Princess Luna will not be joining us. She's ill."

Tia departed, escaping into the foyer, glad to put another door between her and Luna for the time.

Princess Luna
Member Avatar
Avie by Woonastuck
"Child-!" Luna rushed towards the door, only to have it slammed in her face. She rattled the handle hard enough that a tiny crack came from the joint, opening it a crack to try and get a word in...only to slam the door shut even harder than her sister did. Yeah, that'll show her. Seething, she stormed stormed back down the hall to her personal quarters, tension building in her stomach as she fought back tears. The cold emptiness of the room did little to soothe her internal tumult, decked in blues and purples that, while familiar and welcoming tones and in rich quality, were cold and dark, and set her mind in the same shades.

She had to get out of this dress - with her lungs going like this, it felt like she was being choked. She fumbled with the first tie along the back of the design, struggling to find the knot. Celestia had tied it for her, and now even that fact was too much. She yanked at the knots more harshly, one finally coming loose at the seam with a harsh rip that loosened the whole shoulder. She let out an anguished groan, giving up on her attempts as the dam finally broke. She caught herself in the mirror - eyes streaming and ruining the little makeup she'd applied, dress ripped in three places - and threw herself on the bed, the frustration over her latest mistake setting her firmly in a pool of misery.

Princess Celestia
Member Avatar

The trumpets called the music to a start. A soft orchestra assemble building to a talented pianist and gentle keys like raindrops touching upon the crystal dishes of the garden. The music welcomed Celestia, with a servant calling: "Now arriving! Celestia, Crown Princess of Equestria heretoafter!"

The spotlight hit her and she stood a little taller, walking down the steps, hoof clutched to Horizon's own for balance. She smiled up at him as he walked her down the stairs. She hadn't the time to explain to him Luna's absence since she'd spent their meeting discussing affairs with his father, but she was still happy for the pegasus' presence. They reached the bottom of the steps, and he released her into the arms of Evening Star, whom Tia hugged enthusiastically, forgetting her troubles for a moment. The spotlight remained on her as she greeted everyone she passed, giving a bow and a courtesy as she moved along, eyes drifting toward Luna's tower high above the garden each time she looked to the moon to count the time. She adjusted her crown, planting it more firmly on her bangs as she smiled - not too big a smile - and gave a courtly wave. The garden busted with applause and festivity.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Winds of Change · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme made by HawkBlade124 from Zathyus Networks Resources